Welcome Week Information
Welcome to Cal!
The students and staff at Berkeley Hillel are so excited you have begun your journey at the best school in the country. There are a lot of fun things happening at Hillel throughout the year, and you’ll quickly get acquainted. Take a look at the rest of our website, our Facebook page and Facebook group too! And don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter on our Get Involved form.
*All Welcome Week events are free and you are invited to come without an RSVP. We can’t wait to meet you!
*Never miss an event by adding our Google calendar by clicking the plus sign at the bottom right corner of the calendar found on our EVENTS tab!*
Welcome Week Events
Tuesday, August 19th: Move-in Day Open House at Hillel
10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Need a break from moving in? Stop by Hillel for a bagel and a building tour with Berkeley Hillel staff and students! We’d love to meet you and welcome you to campus.
Friday, August 23rd: Shabbat Dinner at Rabbi Adam’s House
- 7:00 pm.: Are you in town for Golden Bear Orientation and looking for a fun and relaxing Shabbat meal? Join other Jewish students at Rabbi Adam’s house for dinner! For more information, contact Rabbi Adam at email@example.com.
Tuesday, August 27th: Make Your Own Pizza Mixer
- 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.: Celebrate the night before the first day of school with a Make Your Own Pizza Party! Come shmooze with other first-years to discuss whether or not pineapple really belongs on pizza.
Wednesday, August 28th: Welcome BBQ
- 3:00 – 6:00 p.m.: Volunteering for BBQ – Come by Hillel to help set-up and cook for kickoff BBQ of the year! Enjoy an intimate community of students in the Hillel Kosher Kitchen.
- 5:30 – 6:00 p.m.: Pre-BBQ Freshman Gathering – Come schmooze before the first barbecue of the year! We’ll have some pre-dinner beverages, hors d’oeuvre, and new people to meet.
- 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.: Weekly BBQ – Join us at Berkeley Hillel for the first weekly BBQ of the semester! Get to know the Jewish community here at Cal with a free, kosher, and delicious BBQ. Learn about all that Hillel has to offer while eating some delicious food with friends.
Thursday, August 29th: Ice Cream Social
- 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM! Join us for our Cup or a Cone Ice Cream Social in Hillel’s courtyard to get a sweet treat between classes. Supplies may not last the full two hours, so come as soon as you can!
Friday, August 30th: First Weekly Shabbat
- 6:00 p.m.: Candlelighting and Shabbat Services – Join us for multiple lively Shabbat service options.
- 7:00 p.m.: Shabbat Dinner – Come hang out with your friends and relax after your first 3 days of classes with community, celebration, and delicious food. Wrap up a crazy week with a relaxing Shabbat. Challah. Grape Juice. Relaxation. What more could you ask for?
Sunday, September 1st: Sunset Hike
- 7:15 p.m.: Meet at Hillel and then head out on a sunset hike. This is a great opportunity to learn about Cal’s surrounding trails led by one of our Freshmen Fellows!
Tuesday, September 3rd: Sweets on Sproul
- 11:00 am – 2:00 pm: Find your favorite Freshmen Fellows and staff on Sproul and grab a sweet treat on your way to/from class.
Wednesday, September 4th: Jewzapalooza BBQ
- 3:00 – 6:00 pm: Volunteering for BBQ – Come by Hillel to help set-up and cook for kickoff BBQ of the year! Enjoy an intimate community of students in the Hillel Kosher Kitchen.
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm: Weekly BBQ – Join us at Berkeley Hillel for our second BBQ of the semester! Nothing like a juicy burger, well-seasoned chicken, or veggie patty grilled by your fellow Jewish homies. Come check out all of the Jewish student groups and what they offer!
Thursday, September 5th
- 10:00 – 11:30 am: Bagels on Memorial Glade Two words: Bagels. Glade. Chill with Hillel without ever needing to leave campus. Grab a bagel, spread some shmear, and get ready to lay on the greatest patch of grass at Cal.
- 6:30 pm: Challah for Hunger – Every week, we gather with friends and the Cal community to braid challah, buy challah, and eat challah, all while preparing for Shabbat and raising funds to donate to organizations that fight food insecurity. You won’t want to miss this opportunity for fun, food, and philanthropy.
Friday, September 6th: Shabbat
- 6:00 pm: Candlelighting and Shabbat Services – Join us for multiple lively Shabbat service options.
- 7:00 pm: Shabbat Dinner – Wrap up a crazy week with a relaxing Shabbat. Challah. Grape Juice. Relaxation. What more could you ask for?
Questions? Please email Molly at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our Freshmen Fellows or awesome staff members will get back to you with the answers you need!
Who has been planning all of this for the new students?
Meet our Schultz Freshmen Fellows:
This group of incoming sophomores has been working this past spring semester to plan Welcome Week events, the Freshmen Retreat, and fun events for the rest of the Fall semester.
Freshmen Fellows are part of a year-long leadership fellowship at Berkeley Hillel. Not only are you invited to their events, but the fellows regularly take new students out for coffee! Feel free to reach out to any of them to meet up at one of their favorite cafes around campus. They are the ultimate resource for all things Berkeley and Hillel.
Check out their bios and contact info by clicking here!